The poached chicken in this recipe can be used for salads, sandwiches or eaten for dinner with roasted vegetables as well. It is moist and tender and lasts for 3-4 days if stored in an airtight glass container in the refrigerator. You can slice it like shown in the photo below and use it for other meals as mentioned.
The salad dressing has english mustard which gives it a kick and the balsamic vinegar’s tartness with a hint of sweetness enhances the taste of the salad. Apart from it’s taste balsamic vinegar aids healthy digestion and improves blood circulation. The extra virgin olive oil and avocado give you a good dose of healthy fats, the omega 3 fatty acids that are vital for your heart and brain health. This salad is abundant in greens with kale and lettuce which are high in vitamin c and powerful antioxidants. In addition the large number of cherry tomatoes add to the nutrient density of this salad.
You can double the recipe for the salad dressing and chicken and store them for use in other meals.
Ingredients for the salad:
- 4 cups kale
- 4 cups lettuce
- 1/2 medium size onion
- 10 – 12 organic cherry tomatoes
- 1 avocado
- 400 gms free range chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 tsp pink himalayan salt
- 2 tsp dried rosemary
- 2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 4 garlic pods
- 1 inch ginger
Ingredients for the salad dressing :
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp english mustard
- 1 tsp organic raw honey
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Poach the chicken – wash the chicken breasts and dry with a kitchen paper towel -place them at the bottom of a saucepan in a single layer -cover at least an inch with room temperature water (this is necessary as the chicken must take time to cook) -add salt, pepper, rosemary or any other aromatic herbs, garlic and ginger -let the water come to a boil at medium heat, skim off the white scum and reduce the heat to low and cover the saucepan, and let the chicken simmer – chicken should finish cooking in 10-15 minutes depending on the thickness of the breasts
- Separate the kale leaves from the stem and chop the lettuce
- Slice the cherry tomatoes into halves
- Slice the avocado
- Cut the onion into quarters
- Make the salad dressing and pour it over the salad
- Toss the salad and serve!